Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Tantrums

This week my son has started to have major tantrums. I pulled out my old stuff from when I worked as a parent educator. Come to find out the handouts on tantrums were for 16 months old, my sons exact age. So apparently the tantrums are completely developmentally appropriate--knowing that doesn't make it any easier. We've had several long tantrums over not wanting to eat in his high chair, to be strapped in his stroller or carseat, having to come inside after playing and over having to take a nap.
This morning we had a 30 minute tantrum at breakfast. He would not let me strap him into his highchair. I decided that we could eat breakfast over a drop cloth on the floor, picnic style. It wasn't about me winning and making him eat in his chair, nor was it about me giving in to the tantrum and letting him have what he wanted. It was finding a way to meet my real goal; I decided that all I really wanted was for my son to eat his breakfast and to do it sitting somewhere in the kitchen. Crisis averted.
I also thought about the timing of his tantrums. They've gotten increasing more frequent in the last three days. About five days ago I switched him from two naps to one nap. I think perhaps he still needs more sleep during the day and that his tantrums were the result of him being overtired. So today it was back to the old schedule of two naps. It was amazing how much better he was for the rest of the day. Though he also seems to have a cold now so that could be all or part of it as well.
As you all know parenting is an on-going experiment. As soon as you think you know what you are doing all the rules change.

No comments:

Post a Comment